Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

IMG "friendliness" by hospitals and states

Program scoop. IMG friendly programs/hospitals

IMG "friendliness" by hospitals and states

Postby anatolyk » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:12 pm

Here is a thought about a very common misconception. People tend to generalize things that cannot be generalized.

All IMGs are looking for "IMG friendly hospitals". May I suggest that most of IMGs shouldn't do that. The reason?

IMG friendly hospitals get much more applications from IMGs. Overall they are getting a much larger pool of applicants and therefore they can choose from candidates with scores in 90's. They also usually make prematch offers to such candidates to make sure they stay with the program.

What does it mean for an average Joe-IMG? You may even get an interview there, but by the Match date, the program withdraws itself from the match.

Just a word of caution: "IMG friendliness" applies to you if you have high 80's or 90's in your steps. Otherwise, you have to diversify your application places as much as possible.
anatolyk

Postby Telamoon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:27 am

I see your point about the hospitals. But does such a thing as more/less 'IMG friendly states' exist? If so what states are better than others?
Telamoon

Postby anatolyk » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:53 am

I can tell you the opposite - NY and NJ aren't the best states to apply contrary to common beleif.
anatolyk

Re: IMG "friendliness" by hospitals and states

Postby IMGspouse » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:08 am

IMG friendly?!? Hmm.. how courious. I've researched well over 900 programs and this is what I found: not one stated they were friendly or unfriendly. In a majority of the cases, it will be the applicants desire, determination and qualifications that will be the deciding factors. Anti discrimination laws prevent a program from posting " IMG need not apply". However the laws dont prevent a program from making the requirements almost unobtainable, keyword being almost. Also take into consideration the following factors requirements that I have seen: feel free to combine them anyway that you see fit.

"We have no graduation cut-off date"
"We prefer no more than (_____) years from graduation" (i]Prefer[/i] is an awfully ambiguous word.)
"Absolutly no more than (_____) years from graduation"
"Test scores above 75 no more than 3 attempts"
"Test scores above 98 no more than 1 attempt"
"Two letters of recommendation" (non specific)
"Four letters of recommendation, one from the chair of your med school at least two from academic doctors that you have directly worked with for more than 1 year and one from the president (king, dictator or warlord) of the country from which you were born."
"No US clinical experience required"
"Minimum 2 years hands on clinical experience in an acredited academic setting within the United States under the direct supervision of the surgeon general"
"Observerships or research count as US experience"
"Observerships or research dont count as US experience"
"We sponser visas"
"We dont sponser visas"
"All sponsered visas need to have step three completed"

And the list could goes on.
To make things more complicated, I have seen programs change their criteria within the same year. The worst thing is of course is when the program doesnt post anything other than "All applications excepted through ERAS" many of which seem (from my point of view) come from NY and NJ. I have also noticed that when you look at some of the resident biographies or photos in the so called "IMG friendly" hospitals: the friendliness only extends to certain geographic locations. Old American proverb "its not what you know but, who you know that counts."

Are there IMG friendly programs?

Consider the reverse of the question...Are there programs which are more attractive to AMG's either by geography or academic quality?

just some things to ponder
IMGspouse

Postby shweta » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi

My Name is Shweta and I am IMG from India recently graduate in 2005, i already passed my USMLE 1,2,3 and applying for residency , but i haven't got luck last interview with any Friendliness hospitals in US, currently i am living in Canada. if anyone have idea or any Tips to getting interview for residency please help me with that , like what things has to be improve , i have canadian hospital experience, also as a research coordinator, Now i don't know what should do to getting interview and as well as Residency in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine
shweta

Postby vikr2009 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:38 pm

i know of one hospital in framingham, MA, metrowest medical center which interviews FMG's only and will surely give them interview after a few weeks of observership and there is a very good chance of making it into the residency.
I know of IMG's from jamaica who have used this method to get into residency.
There seems to be a network of these IMG's from jamaica who recommend each other for getting into residency and have successfully achieved their objectives.

Hope this helps !
vikr2009

Postby IMG2008 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:52 pm

pat2residency.com is giving its beta services and all Beta serices are free. Including Post match scrmbling. Also FMG/IMG database for Residency list is free with coupon 289096D . Go to http://pat2residency.com and login/sign up. Order for FMG Database subscription and use the coupon 289096D for one year FREE subscription. Limit for 100 users, go go go
IMG2008

Postby cinicuw » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:13 am

IMG friendliness works for the selection process and it require 80 to 90s in steps. This allow for making things as per desire procedure for good return. Many one works according to my assignment approach as it works for needs.
cinicuw

Postby cruzjohn » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:47 am

I am aware of one doctor's facility in Framingham, MA, MetroWest medicinal focus which talks with FMG's just and will most likely give them meet following fourteen days of observership and there is a Writing Service decent possibility of making it into the residency.
cruzjohn

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Programs. IMG Friendly Hospitals